Free Online/Offline Television, Movies, and Music Concerts with Hulu TV:
Hulu has changed the face of television and movies by offering streaming videos from a variety of major cable networks as well as flash videos for free. It has recently released a beta-version which enables users to watch hulu on their desktop without being online. Moreover, according to PC magazine in Dec. 2009, Hulu recently began to establish partnerships with record labels to host music videos and concert performances on the site, including EMI in November 2009. Not only with mobile phones and perhaps even the recently released Ipad, but Hulu is also looking to expand outside of the US and into the UK and Ireland in 2010. Essentially, the certain cable networks and even Hollywood (DVD sales) are being threatened by this new form of new media.
- I would like to investigate the impact it would continue to have on the television, movie, and music industries in greater detail.
- Is this similar to the dilemma within the news industry competition between old and traditional journalism i.e. blogging vs. reporting?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages of using Hulu vs. the televsion, dvds, etc?
- Is Hulu a more integrated approach to viewing many different forms of media on a computer or Ipad?
Online music site to deliver new promotional music to DJs:
Serato’s online record pool called ”whitelabel.net” has been a revolutionary outlet for quicker communication between record labels and DJs. It has allowed DJs to circumvent the process of getting the promotional records through mail by allowing them, with the help of Rane’s ‘Serato Scratch Live’ technology, to download the songs to use with their Serato Itch, Video, or Scratch Live programs. In turn, this allows the DJ to have faster access to new music and also be more efficient as a DJ :
Universal Music Group (UMG), the world’s leading music company, have commenced promotional music delivery to DJs using Whitelabel.net. The Serato Whitelabel Delivery Network has successfully delivered 3 million tracks to over 40,000 DJs worldwide during over the past year. Working with UMG marks the first collaboration of its kind between a major recording company and a service specifically designed for DJs. Using their Whitelabel.net service, we can reach the DJ directly and quickly with new music. Whitelabel.net is more efficient than sending vinyl records and more secure than delivering conventional audio files over the internet.
- I would like to investigate further how this has impacted the DJ environment and more specifically the access to promotional music for anyone who has purchased this equipment?
- How has not only whitelabel, but Rane’s technology of Serato influenced the DJ market since the birth of this new phenomenon?
- Will DJing become relegated to DJing from computers, MIDI devices, and simply pushing buttons in the future?
- Has this affected the overall experience with the club or party environment?
China has been garnering constant attention concerning its internet spying. Privacy and even national security are vital matters regarding China utilizing the internet and even possibly Google to access top-secret/classified information. Moreover, according to abcnews.net, “Google says at least 20 other large companies including finance, internet, media, technology, and chemical businesses were similarly attacked [by China].” Additionally, there was even suspicion that US oil industries were hit by ‘cyberattacks‘ from China. As China continues to strengthen its status as a world power contending with the US, this fear of ‘cyberwar’ could foreseeably mark a new era of digital spying and even a digital ‘Cold War’ of the 21st Century.
- I would like to continue to investigate the significance and the scope of this type of dilemma with matters of privacy and international security.
- How has the US responded to this threatening situation of international security and even national privacy?
- What would happen if Google were to pull out of China?
- What would this mean for US-China relations diplomatically apart from the economics?
Please help me to decide which one would be the most interesting to pursue. Thank you.