After doing some initial investigation into the sites we chose to analyze (Kickstarter, CofundOS, Rockethub, and Quirky), some important themes in crowdfunding have started to emerge. There are some basic problems that site administrators have to deal with when trying to create a platform for non-traditional start-up funding, many of which resemble issues that we’ve been talking about all semester. For example, almost every site handles the task of vetting proposals differently. Some, like Kickstarter, require that a funding proposal first be approved by site staff before being shown to potential funders. CofundOS, on the other hand, allows any proposal to be posted, and relies on users to filter out the garbage for themselves. Those are just two examples- every site handles the publish/filter dynamic differently. Other important differences arise in how the sites manage the relationships that come into play in projects like these. The ways in which funders interact with each other and with who they are funding, as well as with the project itself, vary widely from site to site. Read the rest of this entry »
Recent CommentsI trust the information on Wikipedia just as much ...The topic of copyright and remix are both very rel...I agree with my fellow classmates that remixing do...I agree with Kevin. I think there is a huge differ...I think if people stop worrying about the money an...Sorry for the late comment--I read your post last ...I don't think remixing stifles creativity at all. ...
Tagsactivism advertisement advertising art blog blogging commercial community crowdfunding culture Facebook fashion foursquare future groupon hacktivism hip-hop innovation inspiration Internet Journalism location-based application marketing merchant mobile application Music music blogs MySpace network security new business model new media news Online online coupons Online dating online journalism OpenIDEO privacy remix social social media social networking Twitter Viral YouTube
December 2014 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- BBC Documentary Shows Harsh Conditions for Workers in iPhone Factories
- Rent the Runway, a Designer Fashion Start-Up, Raises $60 Million
- Daily Report: U.S. Weighs Response to Sony Cyberattack, With North Korea Confrontation Possible
- Intel Betting on (Customized) Commodity Chips for Cloud Computing
- Uber Suspends Portland Operations in Deal With City Regulators
- Millions of Fake Instagram Users Disappear in Purge
- Uber Driver in Boston Area Is Charged With Rape
- Inside the Pakistan school where gunmen killed more than 140 people
- Dr. Ruth's tips for jolly sex during the holiday season
- Kim Kardashian's over her mom's 'omish sh*t'
- Ferguson prosecutor says grand jury heard witnesses who lied under oath
- Two world leaders, one press conference mash-up
- Who's really to blame for canceling 'The Interview' - and when might we see it?
- How the FBI says it connected North Korea to the Sony hack — and why some experts are still skeptical