I’m interesting in learning how Twitter is being used as a revolutionary tool in the Arab world. In 2009 we saw how the power of Twitter could change the mentality of a nation when activists outwardly opposed the reelection of Iranian President Ahmadinejad. Although their efforts could not change the outcome of the election, the Iranian people were able to freely voice their opinions on a medium that the government had no control over. This allowed the rest of the world to get a sneak peak into a secretive country, and gave people an understanding of the unjust system in place in Iran. As in many other countries ruled by oppressing leaders such as Ahmadinejad, mass communication is censored and people are only permitted to view and listen to what the government deems appropriate. Along with other social networking sites, Twitter gave the average civilian a chance to freely express oneself and fight for justice. Although at first this seems like a limited wayto combat injustice, but those quippy and short tweets ultimately made a global impact. Read the rest of this entry »
Recent CommentsI trust the information on Wikipedia just as much ...The topic of copyright and remix are both very rel...I agree with my fellow classmates that remixing do...I agree with Kevin. I think there is a huge differ...I think if people stop worrying about the money an...Sorry for the late comment--I read your post last ...I don't think remixing stifles creativity at all. ...
Tagsactivism advertisement advertising art blog blogging commercial community crowdfunding culture Facebook fashion foursquare future groupon hacktivism hip-hop innovation inspiration Internet Journalism location-based application marketing merchant mobile application Music music blogs MySpace network security new business model new media news Online online coupons Online dating online journalism OpenIDEO privacy remix social social media social networking Twitter Viral YouTube
December 2014 M T W T F S S « May 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- BBC Documentary Shows Harsh Conditions for Workers in iPhone Factories
- Rent the Runway, a Designer Fashion Start-Up, Raises $60 Million
- Daily Report: U.S. Weighs Response to Sony Cyberattack, With North Korea Confrontation Possible
- Intel Betting on (Customized) Commodity Chips for Cloud Computing
- Uber Suspends Portland Operations in Deal With City Regulators
- Millions of Fake Instagram Users Disappear in Purge
- Uber Driver in Boston Area Is Charged With Rape
- Inside the Pakistan school where gunmen killed more than 140 people
- Dr. Ruth's tips for jolly sex during the holiday season
- Kim Kardashian's over her mom's 'omish sh*t'
- Ferguson prosecutor says grand jury heard witnesses who lied under oath
- Two world leaders, one press conference mash-up
- Who's really to blame for canceling 'The Interview' - and when might we see it?
- How the FBI says it connected North Korea to the Sony hack — and why some experts are still skeptical