This is it – this will be the last brief in the semester.
For week I would like you to work on the wiki and make sure the structure and content of the wiki together with your contribution pages reflects the hard personal and collective work you’ve been doing. I want you guys to do more work earlier and not wait for the last moment on this as collaboration is hard and the process should be given some time to take shape and materialize. Please make sure you make most of your contributions by Saturday and devote Sunday-Tuesday to edit, structure and further substantiate the collective work of the class.
Next week’s reading will focus on the potential (?) of Postnationalism presented by the networked public sphere and on the digital divide through the case study of the OLPC.
- Nicolas Negroponte, “Interview with Riz Khan” Al-Jazeera October 2007
(by the way, Riz’s show is recommended in general)
- One Laptop per Child Doesn’t Change the World / John C. Dvorak
- Give me rice, but give me a laptop too / Bill Thompson
- Frost, Catherine “Internet Galaxy Meets Postnational Constellation: Prospects for Political Solidarity After the Internet” (a pdf will be emailed to you, please do not share, sorry)
- Sara’s summary + your comment
- (optional, just to get a more updated note on the OLPC) OLPC XO-2 cancelled: tablet will be developed next / Jack Schofield, Guardian (Nov 4th, 09)
- The OLPC wikipedia page, kept pretty updated with the project’s history and current state.
- Read the essay & articles and view the presentation
- Optionally Highlight and annotate the reading to help its accessibility for the rest of you.
- Summarize it for us in a nicely accessible post to be published by Sunday 4pm, ideally running some threads between them.
- Be prepared to present the article and lead the discussion in class.
- Think of questions to lead off the discussion
- Post to del.icio.us some links that expand the discussion either about the text or about key themes in it.